Monday, June 24, 2013


FAMILY!

I am so so grateful for your letter! AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE
PACKAGE! My companion and I were having a rough time and I was so
grateful for some love from home. Also I love the 4th of July more
than you know so I was so happy to have some of that here. The
decorations add a lot to our apartment.

Everyday here is hard but every day I am so grateful for everyone who
makes it possible for me to be here. I have learned so much in the
month that I've been here (can you believe it's been a month?!) I
thought a lot about being homesick this week and how hard the first
week was for me and I realized that I miss you all so much but that I
wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the whole world. I miss the
comfortableness of home because there is nothing comfortable about
being a missionary. It is soo out of my comfort zone. But the Lord is
making me better every day and I am so grateful for that.

Monday we were at Wal-Mart and I LOST OUR PHONE. It was the worst
thing ever! I am the worst missionary. I was just complaining about
how I hated it and then I lost it! IT was awful. But there was nothing
we could do because we have no other way to communicate with people
but luckily we had dinner with our elders at a members home and so we
told them there. The member had shrimp as the main dish. Ang you would
have been in heaven. I have never seen so much shrimp in my entire
life!  Tuesday we just had to go about our day with no phone which
actually was really hard because we had a lunch appointment and the
member is just like Aunt Susan. I was in love with her. She even made
this meal for just the three of us and it could have fed an army and
then she made us pie ( the best thing ever and so easy! Y'all will
have to make it. It's just 6 oz. can of lemonade Cool whip and a can
of sweet and condensed milk in a graham cracker crust and it's devine.
I love al the desserts we get out here. I'm going to get fat though
the members feed us so much) anyway and she had to dish it up in the
kitchen so she could have the presentation of it look better. I was
dying. So so fun. And then along with having no phone ALL of our
appointments fell through. Literally all of them. It was rough but
right before we were walking back to our car that was parked forever
away this black guy rode by on his bike so slow that he was chatting
with us and then he was at the park where our car was parked so we
went over and talked with him and he is going through a hard time in
his life right now and HE CAME TO CHURCH YESTERDAY! He's not so sure
if this is what he wants but he knows it's a good thing so we're going
to try and meet with him this week. He's awesome. Such a blessing from
the Lord. I know that the Lord prepares people to hear this message
and that everything is done in His timing.  Then we went to Wal-Mart
to get cookie sheets because we wanted to make cookies for some less
actives and when we were leaving we saw the elders and someone had
called them from our phone and our phone had been turned in. We're
positive it's because our background is of Christ. The Lord blesses
His missionaries is all I know. I was so happy I didn't have to get a
new mission president and tell him I was the one who didn't have a
phone because I lost it my second week on my mission.

We've been meeting with this guy E**** who we met on our walk and
talk last saturday and he's really interesting but he wants to be
baptized so we set him for baptism but now we're handing him off to
the elders because from what his family was telling us we think that
he may just like to meet with us because we're sisters. So we'll see
how that goes. We actually had to go over there this morning (there is
nothing that means more coming from a missionary than to give up part
of the p-day) but this is rude but I think he just wants attention so
from now on we're just turning everything about him over to the
elders. Sister Caldwell and I both think it's the best thing to do.
Hopefully he'll still want to be baptized.

We finally got furniture on Wednesday.  Salt Lake sends this shipment
of the most random stuff but we are so grateful for it. Now we at
least have a kitchen table and our ward is the cutest thing ever and
they are so willing to help us with what we don't have. 

Wednesday night we went over to the Brimhall's for dinner. First of all I
loooovvvvee the Brimhalls.  They have us make the dinner to teach us


how to cook and the ELders were there which always makes dinner
appointments more fun. And I can't remember if I told you but Sister
Brimhall gave us the cutest recipe book. I love that family so much.
They're such a blessing to this ward.  Right after our ward has this
Book of Mormon study class where basically anyone can come and we read
the Book of Mormon together. It's super neat to see recent converts
talk about the Book of Mormon and get their perspective on it.

Thursday we had District Meeting. I have the BEST elders in my
district! It was such a neat experience. Also one of the Elders last
name is Kjerengtroen. Even harder than mine hahahah. And it's
pronounced Sharing-trone. He's super great. He's like a scripture
scholar but he's actually being a zone leader baby (we don't know what
happened to his companion. we're guessing an emergency transfer) so we
get to see him a lot because the Zone Leaders have been helping us out
a ton with our new apartment and getting our furniture all set up. He
shared a quote from Elder Holland that went something like no
situation won't become worse by complainig. I don't know if that makes
sense. I might have written it down wrong but you get what I mean. It
was a good reminder.  That's my 2013 goal too to not complain so what
a perfect way for me to learn on my mission.

Friday we met with T***. He's a recent convert in our ward's friend
and we had taught him once before and it was sooo awkward because half
way through our lesson he's like oh i've already been baptized. So
we're thinking into another church and he's like no into the LDS
church in New York I just didn't know if it was the same here or not
but then he started talking about his preacher Evan so we're  thinking
he's just confused so we're going to have to figure that out. He's
super great though and would be the best member.

Saturday we cleaned the church. Dad don't be so happy now that you
always signed us up for that at home. I was just laughing the whole
time because I already knew how to do everything. It was fun though.
Our ward was the only one who showed up and they're all so great. Also
we got to be in jeans for it so that was a plus.

During our walk and talk Saturday we met these two boys who were SO
DUMB. They basically just were trying to mess with us the whole time
but Sister Caldwell just sat and kept talking with them. It was
frustrating because you could tell that they weren't listening to
anything we were saying but that they just were trying to come up with
the dumbest questions. Like they were talking about dinosaurs and
fossils and it was ridiculous. BUT it was good perspective to have for
people who really do have those questions and who are serious. They
were really nice too so it was good experience for me.

Yesterday at church W*** and J*** (our investigator who is getting
baptized on July 13) both came to all of church! It was so so good!
J*** is the best. At our appointment with her this week she was the
one motivating her husband to read and pray and she even came to
church without him because he wanted to come later. She is the best.
She thinks we have an accent though and I can't understand half of
what she's saying. She's great though and I love her so much. Of
course in Sacramemt meeting we sang O My Father. You never want to
sing that with an investigator there! And then in Relief Society the
teacher just had us play jeopardy. I was dying. Oh well though I don't
think it phased either of  them how weird church was. Sister Caldwell
and I had to teach Sunday School too so that was .. fun. I'm still
trying to get a hang of this whole missionary thing and teaching at
the last second. It's so good though and I really do love it here. I'm
so grateful to be here.

I love you all SO SO much. I am so blessed to be in the family that
I'm in and to know that I have the biggest cheering section from home.
That brings me so much comfort and strength every single day. I pray
for you all every time I pray and I love you all so much. I'll see you
in 17 months (WHAT??) I love you!!!

Love, Sister Szabo



The picture is when we got our apartment. We're getting closer and
closer to having a full apartment!


No comments:

Post a Comment