Monday, July 22, 2013

Family,

Thank you for telling me about Grandpa. So sad but I'm so happy to know that he's doing better now. I'm sad that I couldn't be there for the funeral but I'm glad that Ang and Samuel both went. I'll write Grandma a letter this week. I love her a lot. And the Johnsons are the best people on this earth! So happy that they went and took Dad and Grandma Szabo back. I love them a whole lot too. I think about them all the time.

This week was a HARD week. We worked our butts off and our key indicators did not show it which is frustrating. Oh, I guess some people don't know what key indicators are (life of a missionary) basically we worked so so hard and tried so hard to see so many people but most people weren't home and lots of appointments fell through so our numbers for the week were low. That's the life of a missionary though and everything happens for a reason.

We went to dinner at the Krums again. I think I talked about them a few weeks ago. I AM IN LOVE WITH THEM. They are literally the funniest people that I have ever met. We just laugh and laugh and laugh the entire time we're there. We wore matching shirts accidentally that day and Brother Krum will not let it go. They're great. 


We've been doing service for a lady named B****. She's great. She's baptist but she's not against getting baptized. We taught her the Restoration and she set a soft baptismal commitment. Basically she thinks she needs to read the entire Book of Mormon to know it's true. We'll fix that :) I love her a lot already.

Every time we go tracting I think about how awful the idea of it is but really how it's not that bad. I just tell myself that we're planting seeds and that's also part of the Lord's work. What I plant another missionary will harvest :)

I would say the miracle for the week was on Tuesday night we went on Ward Council Visits. Basically our ward council decided that we would all come together with names and then split up so more people could get contacted. I was with Elder Gremmert, President Thorpe and Sister Six. (We saw the Zone Leaders while we were out and Elder Gremmert and I thought it was funny to joke that we were just on splits with each other/on a double date with Sister Six and President Thorpe.) We went and met the cutest new couple in our ward. They're super active in the church and both from Utah and super great. I'm in love with them. They both wear TOMS and I love them. And then we went and met with a less active member of our ward who already loves Sister Caldwell and I and it was so powerful to have The Relief Society President and the Elders Quorum President there. Member Present lessons are so powerful. We need to take more advantage of our ward and get members to our lessons. And the other group that Sister Caldwell was in also had so much success. I love ward council visits already and we've only had one.

I read this quote in the MTC and saw it on the Sister Training Leaders wall while I was there and I love it. "Just as we should not lower the standards that the Lord has established for the conduct of His servants, we are also not authorized to raise them...be sure that you do not have higher standards for yourself or for others than the Lord has established." - Cecil O. Samuelson

I'm learning how to recognize the Holy Ghost more and how he speaks to me and it's super cool. Now it's just having the courage to follow what he prompts me to do. What a better place to learn how to do so though. I love being a missionary..

Oh, on Wednesday night we have a BOM class and Sister Caldwell and I were playing the piano. I knew I was going to say this before I even came but I wish I would have learned more hymns but Sister Caldwell taught me how to do the cool LH thing where you're just playing a hymn but it sounds cool because you're playing the whole chord separately. Anyway that's not relevant to anything but I was pretty excited about it. I should learn to write shorter emails like Molly's. Everyone is probably not even reading this by this point because I'm not even talking about missionary work. I'll make the rest of this short.

I have been on my mission for 2 months today people! What in the world is happening? When I think that I've only been here for 2 months I feel like I'm never coming home but when I think that I only have 16 months it makes me sad. Mission time is so weird and it's all about your perspective.

I had to give a training at District Meeting and I realized that teaching a lesson to investigators is scary but giving a talk in Sacrament Meeting is even scarier and then giving a training to 7 other missionaries is the scariest because they're missionaries who all know what they're doing ten times better than I do. Remind me that when I'm home and don't want to give talks in church :)

Yesterday at church a lady said "To find the true character of a man, take him out of his comfort zone and see how he reacts." I need to be a better missionary because I am always out of my comfort zone here and I could be a lot better. This is preparing me for the rest of my life and I want to get the most out of it that I can.

One more story, yesterday I was telling Sister Caldwell about how I think that Mondays are P-days because Sundays are the hardest because they're when I'm the most homesick because I loved Sundays at home. I was the queen of Sunday naps and I loved when everyone was home for dinner so we decided to take a nap with the rest of our lunch break and she let me sleep longer and I felt so great when I woke up. She's the best trainer ever. I love her a lot. I never want to get transferred.

We had interviews with President Baker this week and in the prayer in my interview he prayed that I would be able to recognize the adversary when he is working on me and then he prayed for y'all and I was so comforted. I love you a lot and I pray for y'all daily. I am so blessed to be in the family that I'm in. Thank you for your love and support. And don't any of y'all fuss about that dry heat. I can't wait to get back to it. Humidity is something else.

Love, Sister Szabo

p.s. I read this scripture this week D&C 26:1 "Behold I say unto you that you shall let your time be devoted to the studying of the scriptures, and to preaching, and to confirming the church at Colesville, and to performing your labors on the land, such as is required, until after you shall go to the west to hold the next conference; and then it shall be made known what you shall do." It reminded me to not worry about life after the mission but to live in the moment now.

 Yeah..so we were doing service at Barbara's and had to change there and when I came out of the bathroom we were both wearing the same shirt. Awkward. But awkward is the story of my life. Secretly we loved it and that's why we took a picture.
The Zone Leaders made us take me time again. I was fine with it. They even make us commit and then follow up. Missionaries are so weird. I love it. Also, don't judge my hair. It was a rough morning and the humidity is super awful right now. So much for my wavy hair being my friend out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment