Monday, February 10, 2014

This week Sister Youngberg came and stayed with us from Monday night until Thursday morning because her companion went home. (She's serving in Norfolk right now.) It was SOO much fun! She just finished training but I am not kidding when I say that she is THE BEST missionary I have ever met. She is on fire. She can do a door approach like no one I have ever seen. I was so impressed and I learned so much from her! She just graduated High School last year and then turned 19 in September and came and she's amazing. We had lots of fun and she's super normal too so that was a plus :) One night she turned to me and said "I hope you and I get to be companions one day" and it made me real happy. I really hope that it happens. 

We spoke at New Beginnings on Wednesday. It's still weird to me that I'm on the other side of it all now. I still feel like I should be one of those girls sitting there listening to the Sister Missionaries talk. I learned a lot from it though. It was all about "Come Unto Christ" and I had never before realized that the word "become", which is what we're all striving to do, to become more like Jesus Christ, has "come" in it. I thought that was kind of neat. 

President Baker decided that we can listen to all music that invites the Spirit again so that's been kind of fun this week too. It changes things up a bit. We were kind of getting real sick of efy and the music off lds.org

Something real funny but may be a "you had to be there" kind of story that happened this week is we were helping Sister Nolan unpack and so we're all just unloading the truck and there's tons of people and Bishop Udy goes "Sister Szabo if we have a ward reunion, you could come." and then this guy in our ward yells "What are you talking about? She won't have to come, she'll just still be here." I thought it was funny. The ward has decided that I could just come live here after my mission and be a permanent part of the ward since I basically am already. It's been real fun. I kind of feel like this is my last transfer in Kempsville but we'll see I guess. I would be happy to stay for another one :)

This week we Sister Six list it up (it's just a list that Sister Six, our RS President gave us of less actives who we have no idea who they are or if they even still live there) and contacted Formers like crazy...and we still have no new investigators but that's okay! We found out that a lot of people have moved and that the people who live there aren't interested in hearing about the gospel but I was thinking last night about how before I came on my mission I learned the importance of planting seeds and I decided that if all I do is plant lots and lots and lots of seeds, that will be good enough for me. There's amazing people here and I know the Lord is preparing people all around us, maybe it's my job to help Him prepare them for future missionaries and ward members. Who knows :) We're having lots of fun while we're at it though. I'm super grateful to still be with Sister Cahoon. 

I've basically been telling the entire world about this whole "one word" thing and I LOVE hearing what words people chose. It's so much fun! I especially love your word "choose" Mom. That's something that I feel like you've taught me in life, that it's really my choice what my attitude is and how I react to things in my life. Austin wrote me this week and told me about his "one word" and I was super impressed by it. He would probably be super embarrassed that I'm going to write this home to y'all but oh well.. He said, "CONSISTENT. It seems like a lot of missionaries that I have seen have good days (get up on time, exercise, are happy, etc.), in fact they may even go a week or two doing these things. But then they stop, take a break, mess up for a day, and then they're unhappy. Right? Oh, this is random too but here's another thing I've been thinking about lately, it's kinda from the 4th missionary. But the way we act on our missions is exactly how we're going to act for the rest of our lives. If we exercise now, we'll exercise when we go home, if we're bad with money now, we'll be bad with money at home, if we don't like our companion, we won't like our spouse, if we're happy now then we'll be happy at home and so on and so on. So anyways..I want to be consistent this year. Especially in June, July, August, etc." Isn't that SO good? He gets home in June and I can't believe it. He sounds like he's tearing it up in Nebraska. I thought that was really inspiring though. I always go off on how if we are more consistent in reading our scriptures and praying (I had a seminary teacher tell me once that we can't just brush our teeth for 4 hours on Sunday and not again for the rest of the week but that we have to brush our teeth a little bit every day and it's the same with scripture reading and praying) and I think really in everything in life that that's how we become more converted to the gospel so I really liked his answer because I know I can apply that to my life. It really depends on my attitude about the things I'm being consistent in and that's when I'll be able to ENJOY life more. I'm SO grateful for all of you and for all that I'm learning from each of you and your testimonies. 

Also (sorry this is just becoming a what did Jamie learn this week, what's new I guess) this week I listened to one of the conversations from the Mormon Channel. It was Karen Payne and it was SO good! I learned so so much from it. While I was listening to it I was thinking about how they could do a conversation with you, Mom and Dad, and not because we all served/serve/will serve missions or that because we're all the best missionaries, because we're definitely not, we'll I'm definitely not, but because of your examples to us and the way that you two live your lives. She talks about how her kids just "came that way", just wanting to do and be good, and I don't think that that's what we were like. Maybe Molly (no offense Samuel and Ang but we all know she's the best one out of all 4 of us) but I think it's the way that you raised us. My Patriarchal Blessing actually talks about that and I had never really thought about it before but I am SO grateful to have parents who have taught me all I need to know and do to enjoy my Heavenly Father's blessings.

I love you all! A LOT! And I'm so grateful for the restored gospel in our lives. I'm grateful for the Savior and His Atonement and the way He lived His life so that we can all be together forever. 
Enjoy your week!!

Love, Sister Szabo

SISTER YOUNGBERG! I love her so much!



We may have ate dinner at the church this week in one of the Primary rooms because someone just dropped it off to us. And it may have kind of been real fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment